The Vale of Rheidol Railway
Ely Valley Railway - Llantrisant-Penygraig
Regular price £9.95
Until the end of 1951 Llantrisant, midway between Cardiff and Bridgend on the South Wales main line, acted as a junction station for three branch line passenger services. To the casual observer each of these appeared to be typically ex-Great Western Railway with that company’s characteristic auto-trains or, in the case of the Cowbridge line, one of its distinctive diesel railcars, connecting with the main line stopping trains. However, beneath this superficial gloss each branch had its own distinctive character and background. Two had been part of the Taff Vale Railway until 1922: that to the south of the station had been built by the Cowbridge Railway, an impecunious rural concern promoted by local interests, initially with TVR support; meanwhile, trains from Llantrisant ran to Pontypridd over the metals of the Llantrisant and Taff Vale Junction Railway, a nominally independent offshoot of the TVR intended to tap the iron ore and coal produce of the area.